With the due date fast approaching Braden and I decided to sneak in one last date night before our family triangle becomes a square. Upon the recommendation of a coworker of his we went to see the Broadway show Porgy and Bess. We were both really excited to try something a little different than the main shows on Broadway. And well, admitting to being a "Private Practise" fan having Audra McDonald was certainly a perk :)
Well the usual 45 min drive down to the theater took us 2.5 hours! So the romantic dinner obviously got cancelled, and we only had a few minutes before we had to go to the theater. We hopped into a corner deli that was close and ate our sandwiches in the window and just people watched. We both actually enjoyed it probably as much as a nice dinner, we're pretty low maintenance.
As for the production, it was great. We had fantastic seats, so that certainly helps. The show was more of a drama than I was expecting, they slipped in a bit of humor here and there but it is really quite the thespian experience. I don't want to give anything away, but it's an unexpected love story. And yes I know, nothing is more expected than the "against all odds" unexpected love story. But this really was a sweet story. Set back in the early 1930's the costumes were so fun to see. I wouldn't say I'm in a rush to go and see it again, but that is more because I prefer a bit more humor and less serious of a production.
The real adventure of the night was the trip back to the parking garage! Obviously the majority of the people that park int he garages off the main strip are those catching the evening shows. So we hightailed it out of there and tried to make it to the car as fast as we could. Well being what feels like 39 months pregnant, we didn't get to go that fast haha. The line was SOO long to get your car, so we just made the best of it. There were these two drunk/potentially otherwise intoxicated guys behind us that were hilarious! They were really curious about pregnancy and everything. I even got asked a few questions that were more along the lines of the "nitty gritty" of pregnancy and delivery. Nonetheless they were a hoot to hang out with. I love the random people you meet in NYC. Luckily halfway through the line someone spotted my enormous midsection and we got bumped to the front :) I always forget I can exploit this pregnant thing....

No comments:
Post a Comment