Saturday, July 21, 2012

1st week

 The first week with a newborn. Most mothers will tell you how it is all such a fog of a memory due to a cocktail of raging hormones, sleep deprivation, and heavy recovery for your body. All of which is true. Leaving the hospital is always rough, you get so spoiled, nurses doing everything for you, food being brought to you, never having to get out of bed, the works. So naturally I had some anxiety. With Eve, I had the comfort of knowing I had my mom to help me 24/7 for 4 weeks, and only 1 child to look after. This time, as soon as we rolled out of the hospital, we were going home to reality.
Luckily Eve adjusted pretty well. (I don;t have anything to compare to either). She loves him, she is always tickling him feet or kissing his head and sometimes just staring at him in awe at how tiny and cute he is.

Graham had his first family visitor. Braden's dad was coming through town on business, and coincidentally we had the baby 2 weeks early so Paul could see him. 
The age old question, "how do you survive the first week or two?" 
I have found the precious moments are what gets you through it. Seeing your husband snuggle with the new baby, seeing your older child just love the baby etc. The sleep deprivation is rough, but somehow I have grown to love the hours from 2-4 am, Graham is alert and awake. Although sleep sounds great, I love our one on one time, its silent and there are no distractions. I get to just gush over my new baby.
It was great having Braden home for the week. The ward was very helpful with meals, and Braden took care of the rest. He was amazing, he did all the housework and kept Eve completely occupied. That in and of itself is a huge task. He really was a trooper, I love him to pieces. 
Altogether, things went pretty smoothly. His 1 week check-up revealed that he was just 1.5 oz away from his birth weight! He was gaining almost an ounce a day, which is the most comforting news. 
He had gone down to about 6lb 4 oz when we got discharged, so he is a champ for gaining so well so far :)
what would have been 39 weeks pregnant :)



No comments:

Post a Comment