We got to spend Christmas morning at the resort, opened a few gifts and enjoyed a family breakfast. Our tradition is pumpkin pancakes, but being out of town we improvised and made plain pancakes. We kept it simple, one gift from mom and dad and one from Santa.
We spent the afternoon with April and her family. It was so fun to get to know them. And it was incredibly nice of them to invite us, a couple of strangers, to their family Christmas dinner. They were so hospitable, we felt right at home. And the food was amazing, I had smoked turkey for the first time in my life, it is definitely as good as they say it is. There was probably close to 40 people there, and enough for everyone to get extremely full. It was so fun to get to know them.
I however, did not make the best first impression. I was outside chatting away on skype with our friend Candace who is in Belgium for the holidays, and I said "this is the best non white Christmas ever." (Referring to the lack of snow and weather in Florida.) harmless right? Not. I was at a home that was 90% black/Philippino. So, to the small crowd that was outside, that came across as slightly racist, until I clarified that I was indeed talking about the weather.
While this was happening, the rest of the family were gathered around the Christmas tree doing their gift exchange. I could see it all happening because there was a huge triple glass pane and door there, the tree right in front of the right hand side of the glass, next to the door. While they were all enjoying eachother and sitting around the tree, I was embarassed and slightly flustered From the previous weather comment. I went scurrying inside to find refuge with Braden. So I went quickly to slip through the open door. Not open! I face planted right into the glass door! Not a graceful tap or a slight bump. I drilled it. You could hear the glass banging from how hard I whacked it. And everyone was there to see it first hand as I walked into the glass door 2 feet from the Christmas tree. I was crazy embarassed, and everyone knew it. So once all the laughter subsided, a few came to me to tell me if a time they saw someone once bump into the door. But, in the bright side, the door incident was much more amusing to them than my comment about the weather. So, I guess t wasn't so bad. They were very gracious, and we still had a good time.

No comments:
Post a Comment