We sang Nanny's favorite hymn as a family, and my brother Scott played another favorite hymn of hers on the piano. We were able to get a hold of her favorite treats for after the service. We had maple cookies, Ah Caramels, sandwiches, and "nanny mints" or scotch mints. She ALWAYS had these on her at all times. It was so fun to reminisce.
But the most spiritual experience we had, was in preparation for the service. My father was preparing his remarks, and we were hanging out in his hotel room. He showed us some of Nanny's hand written notes he had found previously in her home. She was writing her thoughts and feelings down as she prepared for a talk she was going to give in church, years ago. She wrote the tender experience of bring converted and baptized into the church and knowing it was the right thing to do. But as we read on we got to learn more of her first time through the temple and when she was able to be sealed to her husband for time and all eternity by proxy, as he had already passed on. For the first time, I heard the story of when my father was with his father as he was dying, and he asking him to perform his temple work for him. We got to hear about how our Grandfather was truly humbled and after years of "not being interested in religious stuff" really looked at the long term, and wanted to be with his wife for eternity. I was so overcome with the spirit, and a love for the plan of salvation. I won't forget that, I hugged my son a little tighter that night, so grateful for the knowledge that I have.
This whole experience was so powerful and uplifting. I never thought a funeral service could be uplifting and joyous, but it really was. It was a celebration of life. After many prayers and pondering, I knew without a doubt that she was happy, safe, and in a joyous place. We celebrated the wonderful life she led, she was so generous, and never thought of herself. Our most fond memories were of her always feeding us. Even if you said you were full, she brought you treats or cookies. She always put other first. I hope to pattern my own life after hers as I continue to reflect on her life.
It was great to see family, as much as I wish it were under different circumstances, it was great to see them. I got to see my cousins that I haven't seen in much too long. We got to eat a few times at Nanny's favorite place, the Steak and Stein. We had corned beef and cabbage with blueberry grunt for dessert. It was fabulous! Some of our family's favorite childhood foods. Graham enjoyed a little too much getting spoiled, by everyone. With my aunt and uncle, cousins, siblings, and grandparents, this kid got spoiled.
It was a good trip, one filled with peace. You will be missed Nanny.
No comments:
Post a Comment