So 4 weeks postpartum, I went under. Surgery went well, although they found it was a bit more complicated than they had anticipated. I had an umbilical hernia, and a few inches higher had a GI hernia. But, once they got in there they found the space between them was a channel of more hernias, although smaller, they formed a "zipper" as the surgeon put it. So more mesh was placed, and a few extra incisions. I'm glad we got to it when we did.
Recovery was rough, I had no idea just how much you use your abdominal muscles. I also had no idea it would take this long to recover, they tell you it takes at least 4-6 weeks, but I always figured they were over shooting it...they weren't. 3 weeks out and I'm just starting to feel somewhat normal again. I am still limited in my activities, but I am able to softly laugh now, and I no longer want to die every time I sneeze...stupid allergies. After 2 weeks I could start taking care of Greta, picking her up and feeding her, as long as she's propped up and I'm not holding her for long periods.
It's been great in some ways my mom has taken such great care of he kids and I, I have been so blessed. She's run the household better than I do at my best, I have so much to learn. So while I'm laying in bed recovering, she taught Graham how to do stairs, Eve how to navigate her way through the gospel apps in the iPad, and many other things on my to-do list I never got to. It's been a very humbling experience having people help me and do things for me, being stuck watching. The ward was incredibly helpful in organizing meals to come to the house, it was so so helpful.
Still unable to lift Graham or Eve, and it will probably be a while. But I'm so thankful for the progress I've made, and looking forward to getting back to normal :)
No comments:
Post a Comment