Friday, July 17, 2015

Quilt for Mari

My first quilt. I wish it was under different circumstances, but I decided to attempt at making a quilt for a dear friend of mine. She had breast cancer, but through radiation and aggressive chemo she was able to be considered in remission. About a month ago, and a year after her "remission" status, she discovered the cancer is back. It's back, but has spread to her chest lymph nodes, spine, and skin. The prognosis isn't good, but we are remaining optimistic. 
I wanted to do something special for her, I know chemo makes you chilly, so I thought about a snuggle blanket would be nice. A snuggle, warm, but light weight blanket that could be easily packed back and forth. I wanted it to be special for her, give her memories while she spent hours in the oncology wing, somewhat of a "hug" from me when I can't be with her. So I screened old photos of her with her kids when they were babies and young children, and included them on the fabric squares. 
The project was enjoyable, but so sad at the same time. It gave me great perspective. It made me more grateful for the time I have with my children and husband, that life and time is so precious and not to be taken for granted. She's a single mom leaving behind 3 kids, the youngest just finished high school. She is too young, and yet, our Heavenly Father might have bigger plans for her in the next life.
It makes even more grateful for the knowledge I have of eternal families, and the life after death. I pray for her daily, but have faith thatvHeavenly Father has a plan for her, even though I selfishly want to keep her here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment