Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Voyage into Solid Food

At Eve's 4 month appointment with the pediatrician I was told that she is ready to start on some solids. Basically I can start feeding her rice cereal for the next month or so before introducing her to a more colorful menu of food. I originally thought that you don't start babies on cereal until 6 months, but apparently because our situation turned us to bottle feeding Eve, she can start a little sooner. So I measured the instructed amount of cereal in a little bowl, mixed it with her formula, had Braden ready with the camera to take a video of this momentous occasion. Well, things didn't go as planned. I was ready for this adorable little video of her enjoying her first bowl of cereal, staying moderately clean (I did expect a little mess) and being so cute throughout the whole thing....after a little bit of a power struggle, and a big mess, we were left with this little ticked off baby. She was not happy at all, as you can see in the picture.
A few days went by of her resisting the cereal, but she came around. And now, a few weeks later, and she loves it! You can't really see it in this picture, but she will put her hand on the one holding the spoon and try to push it in farther, as if to get more in there or something. It's really fun to feed her now, she gets really excited and slurps it off the spoon really fast.
You can see her hand trying to pull mine closer, I am getting really good at dodging her grip with my last 3 fingers.
(I know it's a nasty shadow in this picture) After her cereal, and she is ready for bed, these are actually her favorite pj's. Those little bunnies on the feet keep her so entertained, it's actually kind of a distraction at night. When she lays in her crib you will hear little thumping noises from her lifting up her feet to play with the bunnies and then dropping them back down. It's really fun to listen to, you will hear her just talk and babble to herself and play with her feet before she falls asleep.

1 comment:

  1. way to go Eve. Rice cereal is so disgusting so props to her for liking it. Wait until you mix fruit with it she will go nuts!!

    ReplyDelete